"If you see a snake on the tree, don't eat the fruit."
Hedersleben, the small town I've been living in for the past month, has been seemingly getting smaller and smaller, with nothing left to do. The only good food we've had (the monastery diet consists of potatoes, meat, bread, and more potatoes) is the fruit that we pick off every fruit tree we find in town. There is a huge on right next to the monastery where I rode the horses a few weeks back, and it has helped fulfill my crave for something fresh.
Today a few of us decided to make use of our Free-Time Sunday, and go on a long walk to get out of the place we see throughout the week. We walked in the direction of an another town and saw a huge fennel field while we were walking. Next thing I knew, we were in the middle of it taking pictures; it was such an awesome feeling, and something that I've actually wanted to do for a while. The field went on forever off into the distance.
We got out of it and continued to walk a few hundred feet down the road the corn field. There was a path that veered off through the multiple corn fields that we decided to take. We ran through the rows in the corn fields; it felt as if we were in a movie.
We came across a detour path that went directly into the corn field and decided to take it. It was probably the best decision I have made yet. We got to the middle of the field and found this strip of fenced off area. We went through the gate to find a fruit orchard. If you know me, picking fruit off tress is my thing. The apples on the trees were humungous. We found cherries and grapes. There was purple, yellow, and orange plums. The pears tasted as if I just pulled out a Pear Jelly-Belly of bag full of jellybeans. There were Johannes-berry plants, as well as peaches that weren't ripe yet. The best fruit of all though were the blackberries on one small bush. They were the sweetest blackberries I have ever had, and would never eat another fruit again if I could just eat those. This fruit garden went on for so long. My friend joked about it being the Garden of Eden.
We then left and ran through an already harvested corn field. The land went on forever. We ended up going to the base of the wind turbines about a half a mile away. It was insanely windy and so worth it.
Needless to say, it was a pretty successful and awesome day.
Sounds really awesome!
ReplyDeleteexpatriate tax services